Inevitably, people make mistakes. It's how you react afterwards that determines how well you recover.
And in times of crisis, it's always good to have a crisis management or issues management team on hand to guide you.
As a starter, here are 10 quick pointers to follow from both public relations and human resources perspectives.
- Make public safety the first priority
- Be quick to respond
- Be proactive
- Keep key messages as positive as possible
- Be consistent and limit the number of spokespeople to reduce inconsistencies
- Keep your cool
- Keep employees and stakeholders informed and involved
- Use as many communication channels as possible to get your message across
- Provide counselling and support if necessary
- Seek help